Sunday, February 24, 2008

I'm Going To Hell

It's true. And after you read this you'll agree.

At the semester change, I always have a ton of kids that I don't really know coming into my room at all times of the day asking me if they can audition for and add my classes. This January morning, I was cleaning myself from the bloodbath of the previous class and preparing to engage in battle with 52 7th grade boys when a student I didn't know walked up to my piano and asked me if they could audition for Bella Voce, an advanced women's choir class. I said yes, that they could audition for choir, but that they in particular could not because the Bella Voce class was only for girls.

To which SHE answered, "But I am a girl."

And of course this happened in front of 10 or so boy students who, facing me and knowing that their fellow student was of the opposite sex, gave me these "Kingman, how could you?" pitiful little faces. It was funny enough to laugh out loud, but even they, 7th grade boys, were decent enough to know that it was truly a distressing situation more worth crying about.

What's even crazier is that this girl is actually very cute. However, in my defense, she WAS dressed boyishly in an old t-shirt and jeans and had the sloppy shaggy haircut so many of the boys are sporting these days. She did walk in when my all-boys class was starting to boot. I've taught 3 of her older sisters and I did feel some measure of relief when one of them told me that her sister had been mistaken for a boy before.

Still. . . I feel awful. It is one of the more horrible things I have done as a teacher. What do you think my penance should be?

8 comments:

Deena said...

fifty lashes.

Really, if she's been mistaken for it before, and she continues to dress the same and have her hair the same way, she's asking for it.

I'm not saying wear pink lace and skirts, but put she needs to put some vaseline on her lips or something.

not your fault. have a diet coke.

Boyce said...

I don't even know how I happened on to your blog but this story made me laugh very hard because its my worst nightmare come true. Your bishop's office fiascos also made me laugh very hard. My blog is in catchup phase right now but you're welcome to take a look!

Kristel said...

So did she try out or did she run away embarassed?

Dianna said...

Blog surfing is so great. Look where I ended up. Hopefully I'm not totally forgottten from your BYU days! I love the musings on your blog!

Jek said...

HELLOOOOO HUNKY FUNK!!! Where the heck have you been? I have a blog, so does my whole fam damily. I miss you. I hear you are the BOMB to the Diggity Domb in Orem!!! Let's kit okay.

Jayne Layne said...

Hi camel! What a great post! I am so sorry becuase I know that must have been so awful for you! AAHH! We all make mistakes... Next time you see her just tell her she looks cute :) or give her lead role in the Bella Voce, that will make up for it!

Margaret said...

Yeah, it's happened to me. I mean I WAS the girl who was mistaken for a boy. And I did have short hair like a boy, but I was also CARRYING A GIRL'S SWIMSUIT and headed for the GIRL'S DRESSING ROOM.

And I survived. I got my ears pierced right after that :) but I survived. :)

Margaret said...

And I wanted to say - hi! :) I found you off Lindsey's blog, which I found off of Brittney's. :)

Nice to reconnect and remember those fun junior high days. :)