Saturday, December 1, 2007

I Must Belong Somewhere

Awhile back I was talking about my brief love affair with Europe's "The Final Countdown" and how it had proven itself to be a worthy theme song for my 30th birthday and such. While the affair may be over (we've parted amicably and will remain friends), I thought I'd share a little compilation of songs I'd been crushing on---mostly within the past month or so, some from earlier in the year. If the song is on the list, it basically means that I've obsessed over it, playing and re-playing it multiple times in a row (yes, I do this to songs I love).

To anyone who has turned 30, is single, and living in Utah Valley (or maybe to someone who is only one of those 3), the title "I Must Belong Somewhere"---shamelessly yanked from the last song of this soundtrack---bears obvious meaning.

I just published the mix onto iTunes, and as soon as I get the link for that I'll put it up here as well.

Reprise-Grizzly Bear (This is a beautiful ghost of a song. This band was, hands down, my favorite during May-June 2007.)

D.A.N.C.E.-Justice (I dance in my house and in my car to this song and am unashamed to admit it. You will too. Just an unabashedly happy song from some European hipsters.)

Music Is My Hot, Hot Sex-CSS (This song, from what I'd like to call Brazil's indie answer to the Spice Girls, is a little more innocent than what you might infer from it's provocative title. You might recognize it from the latest iPod Touch commericals.)

Phantom Limb-The Shins (If you hate, and I mean HATE---and truthfully you may---all of the songs on this list, you will love this one. Promise.)

Knights-Minus the Bear (Worship the guitar at 2:05 in; the song is pretty cool up until then, but it really gets good at this point.)

Viscera Eyes-The Mars Volta (The guitar riffs from the previous song are completely ripped off from this band. Most of Mars' songs are like 10-20 minutes long and total weirdo-prog rock-jam band---which I can't fully appreciate because I don't do drugs---but I still love their singer Cedric, the Latin Robert Plant.)

Nomanisisland-Subtle (I just found out about this band from my sister last week, but I'm obsessed. They don't fit into any music genre except for "weird." Love it.)

Wolf Like Me-TV On the Radio (If you like to race on the freeway, this is your song. This band sports some pretty wicked cool afros too.)

Icky Thump-The White Stripes (A little psychedelic and head-banger at the same time. I'm still a little bitter I didn't get to hear this song live this fall.)

Rest My Chemistry-Interpol (I wish I were as cool and melancholy as this song. The band is totally not in a hurry because they are cool too. . . and they know it. . . and they know you will listen even if you should have been somewhere else 20 minutes ago. The guitar on the bridge is especially great.)

The Way I Are-Timbalake (Okay, okay---a guilty pleasure. My student teacher did an activity teaching beat with this song and it is so friggin catchy.)

Declare Independence-Bjork (This song is what carries me through the hardest, tiredest part of my runs. It was her encore when I saw her in California earlier this year and she and her all-female-all-horn band were jumping up and down with flags; I felt like I was caught up in a frenzied spiritual revival. Basically it is Bjork screaming furiously for Greenlandic independence but somehow it seems to do the trick for me. Yeah, a lot of you really wouldn't like this song.)

Brandy Alexander-Feist (I wanna be a dead sexy singer like this Feist chick when I grow up. Her CD is maybe the most beautiful of the year.)

The Marshalls Are Dead-Bloc Party (I discovered this song on a mix CD that my sister titled "Loads of Gayness." It is anything but. It's from an EP that came out before Bloc Party's first album Silent Alarm, a CD I think would be better labelled "crack cocaine," as it is precisely that addicting.)

Jigsaw Falling Into Place-Radiohead (A gem from the best band in the world. Thom's vocals are exquisite. When I name my firstborn son Thom, you will know why. Since this song "technically" has not been released yet by a record label, it's not on iTunes and won't show up on the iMix link. Go to inrainbows.com and you can get the whole album for whatever price you choose.)

10 x 10-Yeah Yeah Yeahs (I'll never forget seeing this band about a year and half ago and watching Karen O., their lead singer, put the microphone in her mouth and scream at the top of her lungs and it was beautiful. Not a band I typically listen to much (outside of the fact that seeing them changed my life), but this song is fabulous.

American X-Black Rebel Motorcycle Club (American rock n' roll at it's sexiest. Dark and soulful. If you liked the Brit band Oasis before they got addicted to drugs and became total a-holes, you will like BRMC.)

I Must Belong Somewhere-Bright Eyes (Even if you're not down with the Bright Eyes goat voice, you will still probably really enjoy Cassadaga, the album from which this song comes. I just thought that this song really summed up how I feel turning 30.)

3 comments:

Deena said...

So why the blog name change? Don't get me wrong, I likey, but just curious.

Thanks for the tunes suggestions. I'm always trying to stay cool. hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

lindsey said...

I'm leaving this post on my screen until "Big D" takes the hint and downloads each and every one of them. And puts them in THIS order...so that I can have a play list called "Kick-A$$ Camille" on my hand-held-digital-music-player.

camille said...

Add the songs "Subbing for Eden" by Pinback and "Business Time" from the series Flight of the Conchords to the list!