Monday, December 3, 2007

Seventh Grade Cyber Harrassment

Since I was feeling especially benevolent during the days leading up to and following by birthday, I thought I would bring birthday treats for my students the Monday and Tuesday following (I see my students only every other day). You know, so we could all bask in the celebration of my philanthropic life together. (After all, I am spending my best years with these kids!) Well, A-Day (aka Monday) went without a hitch and sugar was enjoyed by one and all, making the entire ambition of teaching post-Thanksgiving all the more arduous. On Tuesday, however, I must have decided that I was finished heralding the dawn of my new decade (which technically probably starts at 31, huh) because I showed up to school, sans candy and unbelievably, my first 75 students during the first 75 minutes of school did not make a peep regarding my gaffe. The bell rang and 51 seventh grade boys stormed the door. "Did you bring our treats?" Oops. It hadn't even crossed my mind. After consoling my distraught students with promises of candy to come the next classtime, they almost seemed ready to absolve me of my sin. But oh, how quick was I to forget on Thursday the mercy that had been extended to me just 48 hours previous. Again, I had not even thought of my dietary obligation to the children since Tuesday afternoon. Thursday, needless to say, was not good. Seventh grade boys looked up at me only to look away and shake their heads in distaste. I was receiving mutinous threats on the dry erase board and was half expecting someone to have keyed their name on my car. The vigilante students then decided to take matters into their own hands: they would send me emails over the weekend through my school address to remind me. What followed was a slew of emails overflowing in my inbox. I thought I would share some of the winners (with original spelling and punctuation).

treats dont forget them or the punishment will come!

BBBBBBBBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGG treats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alec Woolley told us to send you a reminder to bring treats so here you go.

YOU NEED TO BRING US FOOD BECAUSE MY DAY CONSISTS OF SPORTS SLEEP AND FOOD , SO I NEED FOOD SO i WILL LIVE!!! BRING FOOD!!!!

YOU NEED TO BRING CANDY FOR NEXT TIME MS. KINGMAN CAUSE WE ARE HUNGRY
BRING CANDY
BRING CANDY
BRING CANDY
BRING CANDY


Alec Woolley told us to e-mail you about reminding you to birng them treats! I think that they need it for how well they are doing!!

Mrs Kingman, C plz get us the treats on Monday or we all will crying so plz bring us treats for B2 on Monday
Plz : Please.


I was just reminding you about the candy thing hehe
so bring it on monday for B2
thanks
oh ya p.s. bring candy on monday


Mrs.Kingman
Bring treats please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well have a good day I will write each day over the weekend. So Mrs.Kingman do you have a boyfriend. Bring to school so we can meet him. Dont be mad at me please. Well gotta go my show is starting. Bring Treats OKEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!


So, it's Monday and I remembered the treats. And I still have my head and classroom and car intact. Moral of the story: If you're going to bring candy to junior high kids---seventh grade boys in particular---make it a surprise.

7 comments:

lindsey said...

Princeton University defines masochist "as someone who obtains pleasure from receiving punishment".

Anyone who promises treats to a 7th grade boy, then forgets them, must have a little bit of this in their blood.

Or rather, anyone who chooses to teach junior high is one too.

lindsey said...

Oh, and I love the shout out to "cyber harrassment"!

Deena said...

So I guess Alec Woolley means business.

Nick said...

Did you change the name of your blog?

Evan said...

So are you ever going to update your blog again?

Anonymous said...

Hahahaha, I sent one of those e-mails 2 u.

-Jane

Anonymous said...

ALEC IS SOOOOO SWEEET!!! I LOVE HIM!!!!!!!!!

-2 grls that r CRAZY!!!!